The Teaching, or 500 level of the Suhaila Institute offers two exam courses with assignments and projects to prepare the dancer to teach Salimpour Fundamentals and Foundations. Participants are guided through 12-week online education courses incorporating teaching skills, curriculum development, choreography, and more.
500 Level: Salimpour Teaching 1 and 2
Prerequisites for 500 Level Courses
To enroll in the Salimpour Teaching 1 online course, students must have:
- Performance 1 certification
- Intermediate 2 certification
- T308b and T408b: successful completion of both
- School Director’s permission
To enroll in the Salimpour Teaching 2 online course, students must have:
- Teaching 1 certification
- Performance 2 certification
- School Director’s permission.
For both Teaching 1 and 2, pre-course assignments may be required to be submitted several weeks prior to the course start date. See the course descriptions for current details as assignment requirements and deadlines change frequently.
Teaching Assistant Preparation
In preparation for Teaching 1 and Teaching 2, students take the following Teaching Assistant courses. Successful completion of these courses also provides the student the skills required to serve as Teaching Assistants in specific live workshops and online education courses.
- T308B Salimpour Teaching Assistant Fundamentals.
- T408b Salimpour Teaching Assistant Foundations.
Required CECs for 500-Level Certified Dancers
Teaching 1 and 2 certification is valid for 2 years. For the Teaching Certification to be extended or renewed an additional 2 years, participants must complete the following:
- 50 CEC Hours (plus renewal fee). L5 dancers are still required to attend regular workshops to maintain their technique and stay up to date on the latest additions to the program. Dancers are encouraged to attend higher level courses and workshops and to obtain feedback from Suhaila and other authorized instructors. In some ways, reaching Teaching Certification (L5) can be viewed as just the start. . . there is so much more to learn by participation in the program.
- Choreography. Dancers must stay up-to-date on all required certification choreographies and receive approval from Suhaila Salimpour.
- Conceptual or Project CECs. Dancers may be given general or individual assignments. Assignments and projects are designed to promote the continual development of the Teaching Certification (L5) dancer. For example; updating or composing needed choreography notes.
- (TA) Training. Teaching 1 and/or 2 certified dancers are required to complete Teaching Assistant (TA) Training as part of their CEC requirements to maintain certification. Over a two year period, Teaching 1 and 2 certified dancers are required to complete specified teaching projects to maintain teaching skill level and content to maintain the L5 certification with the Salimpour School. Details coming soon.
- Bal Anat. L5 dancers are expected to participate and/or take leadership responsibilities in Bal Anat (Choreo Captain)
Institute Teaching Assistants
- learn to monitor student progress and grades.
- learn to monitor classrooms for questions and answer questions.
- learn to grade technique exams and check-ins during a workshop or course.
- learn skills to run a workshop or course.
- have access to Suhaila’s evaluations of student work throughout a workshop or course.
- receive evaluation from Suhaila on the TA’s feedback (technical, choreography, etc.) given to students.
- receive teaching mentorship from Suhaila.
To enroll in Teaching Assistant Training for a workshop or course, the fee is:
- 200-400 Level: $150 per semester or workshop.
- 500 Level: Included in the Teaching 1 and/or 2 testing course fee and valid for two years; for subsequent two year periods, the fee is included in the Teaching 1 and 2 certification renewal fees.
Concentrations of Study
- Improvisation Performance with Arabic Band
- Personal Choreography Development
- Folkloric Fusion Training
- Choreography and Staging
Licensed Instructor Preparation
After achieving either Teaching 1 (S5) or Teaching 2 (J5) certification, dancers are eligible to apply for for licensing of their local classes and master classes. Licensed instructors contract with the Salimpour School to provide CECs to their local students. Evaluation of potential licensed instructors is based on their performance in the following list of situations and courses. Note that the School Director may require additional assignments for students to demonstrate their teaching skills including room management, student development, voice projection, and curriculum preparation. For more information about the licensing program, contact the School’s Certification Coordinator.
- Live apprenticeship with Suhaila Salimpour in workshops and classes.
- Course T308b: Teaching Assistant Training Fundamentals.
- Course T408b: Teaching Assistant Training Foundations.
- Course T501b: Salimpour Teaching 1 .
- Course T502b: Salimpour Teaching 2.
Certification Workshop Instructor Preparation
Certification Workshop Instructors train to teach specific workshops at which certification material is presented and certification testing is offered. Such workshops have required content and structure and represent a high level of Salimpour technique ability and understanding. To begin training to be a Certification Workshop Instructor, dancers must have current Teaching Certification (L5) in the applicable format, Teaching 1 or 2 (T501b or T502b). With Suhaila’s permission, the training instructors first work with the Certification Coordinator to get information on the specific workshop and what is required. General requirements are below. Demonstrate live (or by video) yourself teaching the following material. This material is evaluated by Suhaila either in person or via video Skype/Zoom private lessons. Additional instructions will be provided on a case-by-case basis.
- Assigned teaching segments, lectures, introductory speeches and additional material required for specific workshop to be taught.
- Dance movement breakdown as required for specific workshop.
- Breakdown and instruction of choreography(s) required for specific workshop level.
- Explanation and personal testimonial of recommended training tools used for specific workshop level.
- Introduction and breakdown of all Jamila Format Step Vocabulary movements, including a full Fundamentals 2 (JL1) step review (40+ minutes) and a full Foundations 2 (JL2) step review (60+ minutes).
With approval, Teaching 1 and 2 certified dancers can apprentice with Suhaila directly in several areas of study for additional certification. Suhaila will create a personal path of study for the student and mentor them through the work. This program takes several years. Apprenticeship and advanced certification are available in the following categories:
- Folkloric Fusion
- Advanced Technique
- Choreography Development
- Performance to Live Music
- Curriculum Development
- Developing Dancers
- Master Instructor